Elevate your Taco Tuesday with a creative and delicious twist – the Taco Braid. This recipe takes the classic taco ingredients and transforms them into a beautiful, braided masterpiece. Perfect for impressing guests or simply adding a touch of flair to your family dinner, the Taco Braid is a must-try for any Tex-Mex enthusiast.
Who is this Recipe For?
This recipe caters to anyone looking to spice up their taco night with a visually appealing and tasty dish. It’s great for those who enjoy the convenience of using refrigerated pizza crust for a quick and easy meal that doesn’t compromise on flavor. The Taco Braid is a crowd-pleaser, making it suitable for family dinners, game nights, or potluck gatherings.
Why it’s Great
- Visual Appeal: The braided presentation adds a touch of elegance to a casual meal, making it suitable for both weeknight dinners and special occasions.
- Versatile Ingredients: Customizable with your favorite taco toppings, this braid allows you to get creative with flavors.
- Quick and Easy: Using refrigerated pizza crust cuts down on prep time, making this a convenient option for busy evenings.
- 1 canister refrigerated pizza crust
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb. Zaycon Fresh 93 / 7 Super Lean Ground Beef
- 3 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup Fiesta Blend shredded cheese, divided
- 1 tomato, diced, plus additional for the top, if desired
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- Sour cream and taco sauce for serving, if desired
Kitchen Equipment Needed
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Large skillet
- Pizza cutter
- Preheat and Prepare: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook the Filling: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until soft (about 3-5 minutes). Add Zaycon Fresh 93 / 7 Super Lean Ground Beef and cook until brown. Stir in Homemade Taco Seasoning and water, simmering for 5-7 minutes.
- Prepare the Dough: Roll out the pizza dough on the parchment paper, creating a 10×15-inch rectangle.
- Braid the Taco: Using a pizza cutter, make 1 1/2-inch thick slices 3 inches along both long sides of the dough. Place the taco filling down the center, top with 3/4 cup of cheese and diced tomatoes. Begin folding the end and wrapping the slices over to secure, repeating until the last two.
- Bake to Perfection: Brush the braided dough with melted butter and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Finish and Serve: Top the baked braid with chopped Romaine lettuce and additional diced tomatoes. Serve with sour cream and taco sauce if desired.
Kitchen Tips and Shortcuts
- Time-Saving Tip: Use pre-chopped onions or frozen diced onions to cut down on prep time.
- Double the Batch: Prepare two Taco Braids and freeze one for a quick and delicious future meal.
- Cheesy Twist: Add extra cheese inside the braid for an even gooier, more indulgent experience.
- Vegetarian Option: Substitute ground beef with black beans or sautéed vegetables for a meat-free alternative.
- Spicy Kick: Amp up the heat by adding jalapeños or a drizzle of hot sauce before baking.
How to Store Leftovers
If you somehow have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the oven for a few minutes to maintain the crispiness of the crust.
Can I use store-bought taco seasoning?
Absolutely! Feel free to use your favorite store-bought taco seasoning if you’re short on time.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Certainly! Prepare the braided taco and refrigerate before baking. Pop it in the oven when you’re ready to enjoy.
Is there a gluten-free option?
Yes, choose a gluten-free pizza crust for a delicious gluten-free Taco Braid.