Do you have fond memories of enjoying Hamburger Helper as a quick and satisfying meal? Well, get ready to elevate that classic dish with our Homemade Hamburger Helper recipe. This homemade version is bursting with flavor and wholesome ingredients, making it the perfect choice for a cozy family dinner. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the steps to create this mouthwatering dish and provide some handy tips along the way. Let’s dive in and rediscover the joy of Hamburger Helper done right!
Who Will Love This Recipe?
Homemade Hamburger Helper is a crowd-pleaser that will satisfy a range of tastes and preferences:
- Busy Parents: If you’re short on time but want to provide a hearty, homemade meal for your family, this recipe is a lifesaver.
- Hamburger Helper Fans: If you have a nostalgic fondness for the classic boxed version, you’ll be delighted by this upgraded, homemade alternative.
- Flavor Enthusiasts: This recipe incorporates a medley of savory seasonings and rich, creamy textures that are sure to tantalize your taste buds.
- Weeknight Cooks: With simple steps and readily available ingredients, this dish is perfect for those weeknight dinners when you want something tasty and satisfying on the table fast.
What Sets It Apart?
Our Homemade Hamburger Helper stands out because of its:
- Fresh Ingredients: This recipe relies on fresh ingredients like ground beef, garlic, onions, and bell peppers to create a vibrant and savory flavor profile.
- Homemade Sauce: Instead of using a pre-packaged sauce mix, we create a homemade sauce from beef broth, tomato sauce, and a blend of seasonings. It’s a game-changer in terms of flavor.
- Cheese Delight: Creamy cheddar and velveeta cheese are added to create a luxurious, cheesy sauce that envelops the pasta and ground beef.
- Customizability: Feel free to customize this dish with your choice of pasta and additional seasonings to suit your preferences.
Tips for a Delicious Meal
Here are some tips to ensure your Homemade Hamburger Helper is a hit:
- Choose Your Pasta: While farfalle (bowtie pasta) works wonderfully, feel free to use your favorite pasta shape.
- Adjust Seasonings: Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference. If you love a particular herb or spice, don’t hesitate to add it.
- Reheat with Care: When reheating leftovers, add a splash of milk or cream to maintain the creamy consistency.
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of onion, diced
- 1/2 cup of red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp of basil
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 8 oz of pasta of your choice (such as farfalle)
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1.5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz of Velveeta cheese, cubed
Step 1: Cook the Ground Beef
In a large skillet with a lid, cook the ground beef over medium-high heat. Once cooked, remove it from the pan, but reserve 2 tablespoons of grease.
Step 2: Sauté Onion and Bell Pepper
In the same skillet, add the diced onion and red bell pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes until they start to soften. Then, add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
Step 3: Create the Roux
Sprinkle the all-purpose flour into the skillet and stir for about 1 minute. This creates a roux that will thicken the sauce.
Step 4: Add Broth and Tomato Sauce
Slowly pour in the beef broth while stirring frequently, bringing it to a boil. Once boiling, add the tomato sauce and seasonings (oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper). Stir to combine.
Step 5: Introduce the Pasta
Now, add your pasta of choice to the skillet. Cover with a lid and let it cook until the pasta is tender, which should take around 12-15 minutes. If needed, add more beef broth to reach your desired consistency.
Step 6: Creamy Cheese Sauce
Stir in the heavy cream and add both shredded cheddar and cubed Velveeta cheese. Continue stirring until the cheese is fully incorporated into a creamy sauce.
Step 7: Bring It All Together
Finally, add the cooked ground beef back into the skillet and allow it to cook for an additional 2 minutes to meld all the flavors together.