If you’re looking for a creative way to enjoy the flavors of fresh yellow squash, these Squash Patties are a fantastic choice. They’re crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and full of savory goodness. Plus, they’re straightforward to prepare. Let’s get started!
- Season to Taste: Feel free to adjust the salt and pepper quantities to suit your personal taste preferences. You can even experiment with other herbs and spices for added flavor.
- Dipping Sauces: Serve these Squash Patties with your favorite dipping sauces, such as ranch dressing, ketchup, or a homemade aioli.
- Maintain Consistency: Chop the yellow squash and onion finely to ensure a uniform texture in the patties.
- Variation: You can customize this recipe by adding grated cheese, herbs, or a touch of garlic for extra flavor.
- Oil Temperature: Ensure that the oil is adequately hot before adding the patties to achieve that desired crispy texture. You can test it by dropping a small piece of the squash mixture into the oil. If it sizzles and rises to the top, the oil is ready.
These Squash Patties are a wonderful way to enjoy the mild and slightly sweet taste of yellow squash. With a crispy exterior and a tender interior, they make for a fantastic side dish or even a delightful snack. Try them out and savor the deliciousness of this easy-to-make recipe. Enjoy your homemade Squash Patties!
- 2 cups yellow squash, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
Step 1: Prepare the Squash Mixture
In a large bowl, combine the finely chopped yellow squash, chopped onion, beaten egg, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together until well combined.
Stir in 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour into the squash mixture. This will help bind the ingredients together and create a cohesive mixture.
Step 2: Fry the Squash Patties
In a skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. You'll want to have about 1/2-inch of oil in the skillet to ensure the patties fry evenly.
Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls of the squash mixture into the hot oil. Be sure to give each spoonful some space to prevent overcrowding.
Fry the patties for about 3 minutes per side or until they turn golden brown. Carefully flip them with a spatula to ensure even cooking. The exact cooking time may vary slightly depending on the heat of your oil and the thickness of the patties.
Once the Squash Patties are beautifully golden on both sides, remove them from the skillet and let them drain on paper towels to remove any excess oil.
Serve the Squash Patties hot, and enjoy the delightful combination of crispy exteriors and tender, flavorful insides.