Welcome to the sweet southern world of indulgence with our Southern Coconut Cake recipe. This delightful creation is a symphony of flavors, combining the richness of butter cake with the tropical allure of coconut. With layers of creamy Cool Whip, sweetened condensed milk, and a generous sprinkle of toasted coconut, this cake is a true southern gem that will transport your taste buds to paradise. Let’s dive into the details of creating this heavenly delight.
Q1: Can I use a different cake mix flavor?
Certainly! While a white or butter cake mix complements the coconut flavors beautifully, you can experiment with other flavors like yellow or even pineapple for a tropical twist.
Q2: Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Absolutely! In fact, this cake benefits from some time in the refrigerator. Prepare it a day in advance to allow the flavors to meld, resulting in an even more decadent treat.
Q3: Can I use unsweetened shredded coconut?
Yes, you can use unsweetened shredded coconut if you prefer a less sweet version. It adds a subtle coconut flavor without overpowering the sweetness of the cake.
Gather the following ingredients to embark on this sweet journey:
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 package white cake or butter cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 12-ounce container Cool Whip
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 3 eggs
- 1 15-ounce can cream of coconut
- Make the cake mix according to the package instructions and bake it in a 23 x 30 cm pan. While the cake is baking, you’ll find yourself mesmerized by the sweet aroma wafting from the oven, anticipating the decadence to come.
- While the cake is doing its magic in the oven, whisk together the cream of coconut and sweetened condensed milk in a medium bowl. This combination is the secret elixir that will infuse the cake with a luscious, tropical sweetness. Set it aside and let the flavors meld.
- In another bowl, fold 1 1/2 cups of shredded coconut into the Cool Whip. This ethereal mixture is like a cloud of sweetness waiting to grace the cake with its creamy goodness. Set it aside, and let the coconut dreams continue.
- Once the cake has cooled for about 10 minutes, use a fork to prick holes across the top. This step ensures that every bite is infused with the delectable elixir. Spoon the condensed milk mixture over the cake, letting it seep into the crevices. Allow it to sit for another 15 minutes, allowing the cake to soak up the divine flavors.
- Now, it’s time to spread the Cool Whip and shredded coconut mixture over the cake. This is where the magic happens as the cake gets enveloped in a cloud of creamy coconut goodness. Sprinkle the top with 1/2 cup of toasted coconut, adding a perfect crunch to every bite.