Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup is a classic comfort dish that brings together the flavors of tender ham, hearty potatoes, and a creamy base. Perfect for a chilly day or when you’re craving a warm, satisfying meal, this recipe offers convenience and incredible taste.
Who Will Love This Recipe?
Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup is a versatile dish that will appeal to a wide range of palates:
- Soup Lovers: If you enjoy savoring soups packed with flavor and wholesome ingredients, this recipe is a must-try.
- Ham Enthusiasts: For those who appreciate the savory and slightly smoky taste of ham, this soup will satisfy your cravings.
- Busy Cooks: With the convenience of a slow cooker, this recipe is ideal for busy individuals or families looking for a hassle-free, delicious meal.
- Comfort Food Aficionados: If you’re drawn to comfort foods that warm your soul and bring a smile to your face, this soup delivers.
What Sets It Apart?
Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup stands out thanks to its simplicity, heartiness, and the convenience of using a slow cooker:
- Easy Preparation: This recipe is easy to prepare, making it accessible for both beginner and experienced cooks.
- Creamy Base: The combination of heavy cream (or milk) and sour cream creates a luxuriously creamy texture that coats the potatoes and ham, elevating the dish’s comfort factor.
- Versatile Ingredient: You can customize this soup by adding other vegetables or seasonings to suit your taste preferences.
- Family-Friendly: The rich and comforting flavors make this soup a hit with family members of all ages.
Tips for a Perfect Dish
Here are some tips to ensure your Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup turns out perfectly:
- Mash for Texture: The optional potato mashing step allows you to adjust the soup’s thickness to your preference. If you prefer a chunkier texture, skip this step.
- Cream Options: While heavy cream provides a rich and velvety texture, you can use milk if you prefer a lighter version of the soup.
- Additional Ingredients: Feel free to add other vegetables like corn or peas for extra flavor and nutrition. Adjust the seasonings to taste as well.
- Storage: This soup stores well in the refrigerator for several days, making it great for leftovers.
- Variations: Get creative with your toppings! Chopped fresh herbs, shredded cheese, or a sprinkle of crispy bacon can add extra flair to your bowl of soup.
- 8 cups russet potatoes, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 16 ounces Cubed Ham (2 packages of Smithfield Anytime Favorites™ Cubed Ham)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream (you can also use milk – whole milk works well)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Step 1: Prep Your Ingredients
Start by dicing the russet potatoes, yellow onion, carrots, and celery.
Ensure that the ham is cubed and ready to use.
Step 2: Combine Ingredients in the Slow Cooker
In your slow cooker, add the diced potatoes, diced onion, chopped carrots, chopped celery, cubed ham, Kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and chicken broth.
Step 3: Cook Slow and Low
Set your slow cooker to low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 4-5 hours. The potatoes should become tender, and the flavors will meld together beautifully.
Step 4: Mash Potatoes (Optional)
About two-thirds into the cooking time, use a potato masher to gently mash about one-third of the potatoes. This helps thicken the soup.
Step 5: Add Creamy Elements
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, heavy cream (or milk), and sour cream. Stir until well mixed.
Step 6: Thicken and Finish
Pour the creamy mixture into the slow cooker, stirring everything together.
Cover and continue cooking on high for an additional 15 minutes to allow the soup to thicken and all the flavors to meld.
Step 7: Serve and Enjoy
Once the soup reaches your desired consistency and the flavors are well developed, it's ready to serve. Ladle it into bowls and savor this comforting dish.