Cabbage soup, a timeless and hearty dish, is perfect for those chilly days when you crave something warm and comforting. Packed with the wholesome goodness of cabbage, tomatoes, and aromatic seasonings, this recipe is a comforting classic that’s easy to prepare. Whether you’re looking for a filling meal or a soothing bowl of soup, this recipe has got you covered. In this blog post, we’ll explore how to make a delicious and heartwarming Cabbage Soup. Let’s dive into the ingredients, directions, and some tips to make your soup-making experience even more delightful.
Who Will Enjoy Cabbage Soup?
Cabbage Soup is a versatile dish that appeals to a wide range of taste preferences. It’s a great choice for:
- Vegetarians: Skip the ground beef, and you have a delightful vegetarian soup that’s rich in flavor and nutrition.
- Families: This soup is budget-friendly and can be a hit with kids. It’s an excellent way to sneak in some extra veggies.
- Soup Lovers: If you’re a fan of hearty, soul-warming soups, you’ll appreciate the simplicity and depth of flavor in this recipe.
- Anyone on a Health Kick: Cabbage is packed with nutrients and antioxidants, making this soup a healthy option for those watching their diet.
Why Cabbage Soup Is a Classic
- Simple Ingredients: The ingredients are basic and likely already in your pantry. No need for special grocery runs.
- Quick and Easy: This soup is ready in no time, making it a perfect weeknight dinner option.
- Versatile: You can customize it with your favorite seasonings or add extra veggies like carrots or bell peppers.
- Leftover Magic: Cabbage soup often tastes even better the next day, making it great for meal prepping.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Before you embark on your cabbage soup journey, make sure you have these ingredients at the ready:
- 1 large cabbage
- 2 small onions, diced
- 2 cans of stewed tomatoes
- 1 pouch of Lipton Onion Soup Mix (any flavor)
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped finely
- Ground beef (1-2 pounds, depending on your preference)
- Spices of your choice (salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika work well)
Directions for a Hearty Soup
Now, let’s dive into the steps to create this comforting Cabbage Soup:
- Prepare Your Cabbage: Start by cutting the large cabbage into small, bite-sized pieces. Remove the tough core and any wilted outer leaves.
- Sauté the Onions and Celery: In a large saucepan or soup pot, heat a bit of oil over medium heat. Add the diced onions and chopped celery and sauté them until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Add Cabbage and Tomatoes: Add the prepared cabbage to the pot and stir it well with the sautéed onions and celery. Pour in the cans of stewed tomatoes, including the liquid. These will provide a rich tomato base for your soup.
- Mix in the Soup Mix: Sprinkle the Lipton Onion Soup Mix over the cabbage and tomato mixture. This mix adds depth of flavor and a hint of oniony goodness to your soup.
- Season and Simmer: Season your soup to taste with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika (or any other spices you like). Stir everything together and let the soup simmer for about 20-30 minutes. The cabbage should become tender, and the flavors will meld together beautifully.
- Brown the Beef: While your soup is simmering, brown the ground beef in a separate pan. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the Beef: Once the beef is cooked, add it to your simmering cabbage soup. This provides an extra layer of heartiness and flavor.
- Simmer a Bit Longer: Let the soup simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, allowing the beef to meld with the other ingredients. Give it a taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
Tips for Soup Success
- This soup is even better the next day, so consider making it in advance and reheating for a quick meal.
- Feel free to customize your soup by adding extra vegetables or spices. It’s a forgiving recipe that allows for creativity.
- Serve your Cabbage Soup with a slice of crusty bread or a dollop of sour cream for extra indulgence.