If you’re in the mood for a mouthwatering, hearty meal that’s packed with flavor, our Garlic Butter Steak and Potatoes Skillet is the answer. This dish combines tender steak bites and perfectly cooked potatoes, all bathed in a rich garlic butter sauce. It’s a recipe that’s sure to satisfy your cravings and impress your taste buds. Let’s get cooking!
- Steak Doneness: Adjust the cooking time for the steak to achieve your preferred level of doneness.
- Customize the Spice: Feel free to adjust the spice mix to suit your taste. You can make it milder or spicier as you like.
- Garlic Lovers: If you’re a garlic enthusiast, add more garlic cloves to intensify the flavor of the dish.
- Serve with Greens: This dish pairs wonderfully with a side of sautéed greens or a crisp salad for a balanced meal.
- Make It Your Own: Don’t hesitate to add your favorite herbs or additional ingredients to make this recipe truly your own.
This Garlic Butter Steak and Potatoes Skillet is a delightful and savory dish that brings together the goodness of tender steak and perfectly cooked potatoes in a flavorful garlic butter sauce. It’s a fantastic option for a special dinner or a comforting family meal. Serve it with a smile and watch it disappear from the dinner table!
- For the Steak and Potatoes
- A piece of meat (like top sirloin, filet mignon, New York strip, or ribeye)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided (for cooking the steaks)
- 1 1/2 lbs. Gold Yukon potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- Spice Mix:
- 1 TB garlic powder
- 1 TB paprika
- 1 TB brown sugar
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander or cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili pepper
- For the Garlic Butter Sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
Step 1: Prepare the Seasoning Mix
Whisk together all the spices listed in the "Spice Mix" section. Set aside two tablespoons of this mix to use for the potatoes.
Pat the steak dry and sprinkle it with the remaining seasoning mixture. Ensure the steak is evenly coated and set it aside.
Step 2: Cook the Potatoes
Place the potato wedges and 1/2 cup of water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave for 6-7 minutes until the potatoes are just slightly soft. Drain and allow them to dry.
Drizzle the potatoes with a tablespoon of olive oil and season them with the two tablespoons of the seasoning mixture that you set aside. Stir to coat the potatoes evenly.
Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the potatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes until they start to brown, flipping them to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until they are fork-tender. Remove the potatoes and keep them warm under a foil tent. Wipe the pan clean.
Step 3: Cook the Steak
Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add half of the seasoned steak in a single layer. Allow it to sear for 2 minutes, then flip the steak and cook for an additional minute or to your desired doneness. Remove the steak to a plate. Wipe down the pan if there are any burnt bits.
In the same skillet, heat 2 more tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the remaining steak in a single layer and sear it without stirring for 2 minutes. Stir the steak, then immediately add the butter, minced garlic, parsley, dried oregano, and dried thyme. Cook, stirring, for about a minute, then remove from heat.
Step 4: Combine and Serve
Add the seared steak and cooked potatoes back to the skillet. Stir to coat everything evenly in the delicious garlic butter sauce.
Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Serve your Garlic Butter Steak and Potatoes Skillet hot and enjoy a flavor-packed meal that's sure to impress.