If you’re looking for a mouthwatering dessert that combines the comforting flavours of fresh fruit and flaky pastry, then you’ve come to the right place. Our Fried Apple or Peach Pies are the perfect treat for anyone with a sweet tooth and a craving for something warm and comforting.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is simple to follow and guarantees a delightful outcome. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the process, share some pro tips, and offer variations to suit your taste. So, let’s dive right into creating these delectable hand pies!
Who is this Recipe For?
This recipe is for anyone who appreciates the sweet satisfaction of a homemade dessert. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party, looking for a delightful addition to your brunch menu, or simply want to treat yourself and your loved ones, these Fried Apple or Peach Pies are a crowd-pleaser. With the warm, gooey filling wrapped in a crispy, golden crust, these hand pies are a comfort food classic.
Why It’s Great
What makes this recipe truly great is its simplicity and versatility. You don’t need to be a pastry chef to master these pies, and you can choose between apple and peach fillings to suit your taste. Here are a few more reasons why you’ll love this recipe:
- Quick and Easy: These hand pies come together in no time, making them a convenient option for both beginner and experienced bakers.
- Customizable: While we’re providing a classic recipe, you can get creative with your fillings. Try different fruits, add a dash of spices, or even incorporate a scoop of ice cream for an indulgent twist.
- Perfectly Portable: These hand-sized pies are ideal for picnics, lunchboxes, or on-the-go snacking. No need for plates or utensils!
- Kid-Friendly: Children will adore these mini pies. It’s a great way to involve them in the kitchen and satisfy their sweet cravings.
- Homemade Goodness: There’s something incredibly satisfying about biting into a warm, homemade pie. You won’t find this level of comfort at your local bakery.
- 2 boxes (14.1 oz each) of refrigerated pie crust
- 1 can (21 oz) peach pie filling (or apple pie filling for an alternative)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Preheat the Oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Prepare the Filling: Empty the pie filling into a shallow bowl. Using a fork and knife, dice the peaches (or apples) into small pieces. Add the teaspoon of cinnamon and mix until well blended. Set this delicious filling aside.
- Unroll the Pie Crusts: Take your refrigerated pie crusts and unroll them. Using a 4-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 6 circles from each crust. If needed, re-roll the scraps to get that 6th circle.
- Fill the Pies: With a 1 tbsp cookie scoop, drop your chosen fruit pie filling into the center of each pie crust circle. Fold the circle in half and pinch the edges firmly. Then, fold the pinched edges over and seal them by pressing with the tines of a fork. Don’t forget to poke each hand pie with a fork once to prevent bursting.
- Brush with Egg White: In a small bowl, beat the egg white until frothy. Brush this over the tops of each hand pie.
- Bake: Place your hand pies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, ensuring they’re about 1 inch apart. Bake them in the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes or until they turn beautifully golden brown.
- Make the Glaze: While the pies are baking, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk in a separate bowl until you achieve a smooth glaze.
- Coat with Glaze: Once the pies are out of the oven and still warm, drop them into the glaze, coating them completely. A little secret tip: use two forks to flip them in the glaze and remove them carefully.
- Let Them Set: Place the glazed pies back on parchment paper and allow them to set for about 5 minutes.
- Enjoy: Now comes the best part – dig in and enjoy the heavenly combination of crispy crust and sweet, fruity filling!
Recipe Tips and Variations
Tips for Success
- Room Temperature Pie Crusts: Allowing the pie crusts to come to room temperature makes them more pliable and easier to work with.
- Sealing the Edges: Make sure to pinch and seal the edges of the pies thoroughly to prevent any filling from leaking out during baking.
- Glazing Warm Pies: Coating the pies with the glaze while they’re still warm allows it to adhere better and creates that delightful, shiny finish.
- Fruit Variations: Experiment with different fruit fillings like cherry, blueberry, or mixed berry for a unique twist on the classic.
- Spices: Enhance the flavor by adding a pinch of nutmeg or a dash of vanilla extract to the filling.
- Serving Suggestions: These pies are delightful on their own but pair wonderfully with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.