If you’re a food enthusiast who loves comfort food with a cheesy twist, you’re in for a treat! Our French Onion Chicken and Rice Bake is a delightful fusion of classic flavours and modern convenience. This dish combines tender chicken, creamy French onion dip, and the irresistible allure of melted cheddar cheese.
It’s a fantastic choice for a weeknight dinner or when you’re craving some heartwarming goodness. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the recipe, offer some handy tips and variations, and even suggest some drink pairings to elevate your dining experience.
Who is this Recipe For?
This recipe is perfect for busy individuals and families looking to whip up a delicious meal without spending hours in the kitchen. Whether you’re a novice cook or a seasoned pro, this dish is a crowd-pleaser. The creamy texture of the French onion dip combined with the cheesy goodness is sure to satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
Why It’s Great
Quick and Easy
One of the standout features of this recipe is its simplicity. With just a handful of ingredients and minimal prep work, you can have a hot and hearty meal on the table in no time. It’s a lifesaver on those busy evenings when you want something comforting but don’t want to spend hours cooking.
Using rotisserie chicken as a base not only saves time but also makes this recipe budget-friendly. You get the delicious taste of roasted chicken without the effort of roasting it yourself.
- 2 cups instant white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cooked chopped chicken (about half of a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup refrigerated sour cream French onion dip
- 1 (10.5-oz) can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup French Fried Onions
- Preheat and Prep: Preheat your oven to 350ºF and spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set it aside.
- Cook the Rice: In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the instant rice, cover, and turn off the heat. Let it stand for 5 minutes, allowing all the water to be absorbed.
- Combine Ingredients: In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, French onion dip, shredded cheddar cheese, chicken broth, and cooked rice. Mix everything until well combined.
- Bake: Spread this delightful mixture into the prepared baking pan. Top it off with the French Fried Onions for that perfect crunch. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Tips and Shortcuts
- Rotisserie Chicken: Using rotisserie chicken is a time-saver, but you can also cook chicken breasts or thighs specifically for this dish. Season them with salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic powder for extra flavor.
- Make It Ahead: Prepare the dish up to the point of baking and refrigerate it for a day or two. When you’re ready to enjoy, just pop it in the oven for a quick meal.
- Vegetarian Option: Skip the chicken and use vegetable broth for a vegetarian version. You can also add in some sautéed mushrooms or diced bell peppers for extra flavour and texture.
Leftovers and Storage
If you’re fortunate enough to have leftovers (this dish is so delicious that it’s not always the case), store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave for a quick and satisfying meal.