This easy frosted coconut cake recipe delivers a classic dessert that’s perfect for any occasion. With its moist and tender crumb, rich coconut flavor, and billowy seven-minute frosting, this cake is sure to impress. Let’s dive into the details of how to make this delightful treat.
Who Will Love This Recipe?
The easy frosted coconut cake is a beloved dessert that appeals to a wide range of people and occasions:
- Coconut Lovers: If you enjoy the sweet, tropical flavor of coconut, this cake is a must-try.
- Celebrations: Whether it’s a birthday, anniversary, or special event, this cake can be the centerpiece of your celebration.
- Potlucks and Parties: Share this cake with friends and family at gatherings and potluck dinners.
- Homemade Dessert Enthusiasts: If you love baking from scratch, this recipe provides a rewarding experience.
What Makes It Special?
This cake stands out for several reasons:
- Moist and Flavorful: The combination of butter, sugar, buttermilk, and coconut flavoring creates a moist and flavorful cake that’s rich in coconut taste.
- Seven-Minute Frosting: The fluffy seven-minute frosting not only adds sweetness but also a lovely marshmallow-like texture.
- Versatile Sizes: You can choose to make two or three 8-inch, 9-inch round, or square cakes or one 9×13-inch cake, depending on your preferences.
- Long Shelf Life: This cake stays fresh at room temperature for up to two days or in the refrigerator for up to a week, making it perfect for make-ahead preparation.
Tips for Success
To ensure your easy frosted coconut cake turns out beautifully:
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature for the best cake texture.
- No Fail Seven Minute Frosting: Follow the No Fail Seven Minute Frosting recipe for a perfect, fluffy frosting every time.
- Cool Before Frosting: Allow the cakes to cool completely before applying the frosting to prevent it from melting.
Enjoy your homemade frosted coconut cake, a timeless dessert that’s sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and impress your guests!
- For the Cake Batter:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring (usually found near vanilla extract)
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- For Frosting and Garnish:
- No Fail Seven Minute Frosting (separate recipe; link provided)
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut (for garnishing the cake)
Step 1: Preheat and Prepare Pans
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
Lightly grease and flour either two or three 8-inch, 9-inch round or square cake pans or one 9x13-inch cake pan. Set the prepared pans aside.
Step 2: Cream Butter and Sugar
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer at medium speed to cream together the room-temperature butter and granulated sugar until the mixture is very smooth. This process takes at least four minutes.
Step 3: Add Flavor and Eggs
Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and coconut flavoring to the butter-sugar mixture. Beat well to combine.
Step 4: Combine Dry Ingredients
In a separate medium-sized bowl, stir together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Step 5: Mix Wet and Dry Ingredients
Add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture. Using the electric mixer at medium speed, beat until the ingredients are thoroughly blended and the batter is smooth. Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. This should take approximately 2-3 minutes.
Step 6: Pour Batter into Pans
Pour the cake batter into the prepared pans.
Step 7: Bake
Bake the cakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The baking times will vary depending on the pan size: 25-30 minutes for round cakes and 30-35 minutes for a 9x13-inch cake.
Step 8: Cool and Frost
Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting them with No Fail Seven Minute Frosting. Note: You can follow the provided link to the separate frosting recipe.
Step 9: Garnish and Serve
After frosting the cake, sprinkle shredded sweetened coconut generously over the frosting. You can also press coconut onto the sides of the cake immediately after frosting it.
Your easy frosted coconut cake is now ready to be sliced and served. Enjoy!