Are you in the mood for a hearty and comforting breakfast that’s both nostalgic and delicious? Look no further than our Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast recipe. This classic dish, also known as “S.O.S.” or “Shit on a Shingle,” combines dried beef in a creamy sauce served over toast. It’s a timeless favorite that’s perfect for a satisfying morning meal. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the simple steps to make this breakfast classic and offer some tips for perfecting it. Let’s dive into the world of creamy goodness!
Who Will Love This Recipe?
Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast is a breakfast dish that appeals to a wide range of tastes and preferences:
- Breakfast Lovers: If you enjoy a hearty breakfast to start your day, this dish will quickly become a favorite.
- Nostalgia Seekers: For those looking to recreate the flavors of childhood or experience a classic American breakfast, this recipe is a must-try.
- Home Cooks: With minimal ingredients and a straightforward cooking process, this dish is perfect for home cooks of all skill levels.
- Savory Breakfast Fans: If you prefer savory breakfasts over sweet ones, this recipe hits all the right notes.
What Makes It Special?
Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast stands out because of its:
- Comforting Appeal: This dish has been a beloved breakfast option for generations, offering comfort and satisfaction in every bite.
- Simple Ingredients: With just a handful of pantry staples, you can whip up a delicious and filling breakfast in no time.
- Creamy Sauce: The creamy sauce made with butter, flour, milk, and heavy whipping cream coats the dried beef, creating a luscious and savory experience.
- Versatile Serving: Enjoy it over toast, biscuits, or even potatoes, depending on your preference.
Tips for a Perfect Breakfast
Here are some tips to ensure your Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast turns out just right:
- Adjust the Consistency: If the sauce becomes too thick, you can thin it out with a bit of milk or cream until you achieve your desired consistency.
- Pepper to Taste: Pepper is a key seasoning in this dish. Feel free to add as much or as little as you like to suit your taste.
- Toast Options: While serving over toast is classic, you can also enjoy this dish over biscuits, English muffins, or even hash browns for a variety of flavors and textures.
- 8 oz of dried beef (in a jar), chopped into pieces
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- Pepper to taste
- Toast (for serving)
Step 1: Melt Butter
In a skillet or saucepan over medium heat on the stove, melt the butter until it's fully liquefied.
Step 2: Add Flour
Add the all-purpose flour to the melted butter and whisk to combine well. Cook for a minute or two until the raw flour taste has been cooked off.
Step 3: Incorporate Milk and Cream
Slowly whisk in the milk, followed by the heavy whipping cream. Continue to whisk often to prevent burning.
Step 4: Season with Pepper
Add pepper to taste, adjusting the amount to suit your preference for seasoning.
Step 5: Simmer and Thicken
Bring the mixture to a rolling simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent lumps and ensure even cooking. Allow the sauce to thicken to your liking.
Step 6: Add Chopped Beef
Once the sauce has reached your desired thickness, add the chopped dried beef into the skillet or saucepan. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes to heat the beef through and let the flavors meld.
Step 7: Serve Over Toast
Serve the creamy chipped beef over slices of toast, biscuits, or any preferred base for a delightful breakfast.