If you’re in search of a comforting and hearty meal that’s easy to prepare and perfect for chilly evenings, look no further than Cabbage Roll Soup. This delightful dish captures all the flavours of traditional cabbage rolls but eliminates the fuss of rolling and baking. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the steps to create this flavorful soup that’s sure to become a family favourite.
Who Is This Recipe For?
Cabbage Roll Soup is a versatile dish that appeals to a wide range of palates. Whether you’re a busy parent looking for a quick and nutritious dinner option, a foodie craving a comforting bowl of soup, or simply someone who enjoys exploring new flavours, this recipe is for you. With its combination of ground beef or turkey, fresh cabbage, rice, and a rich tomato broth, it offers a satisfying and balanced meal.
Before you get started, gather the following ingredients:
- 4 cups beef broth
- 8-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp parsley
- 2 small spoons of olive oil
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 carrots, sliced
Now that you have all your ingredients and equipment ready, let’s walk through the cooking process:
- Brown the Ground Meat: In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef or turkey and season it with salt and pepper. Use a spatula to break up and brown the meat, which should take about 6 minutes.
- Sauté Onion and Garlic: Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the pot with the browned meat. Sauté for about 4 minutes until the onion turns translucent and fragrant.
- Combine Ingredients: To the pot, add the sliced carrots, chopped cabbage, beef broth, uncooked rice, tomato sauce, bay leaf, brown sugar, and parsley. Don’t forget to adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer to Perfection: Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow it to cook for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and fully cooked.
- Serve and Enjoy: Ladle your delicious Cabbage Roll Soup into bowls. Garnish with additional parsley if desired. It’s best served hot and can be accompanied by crusty bread or crackers for a complete meal.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Vegetarian Option: To make a vegetarian version of this soup, simply omit the ground meat and use vegetable broth instead of beef broth. You can also add some meatless ground crumbles for a meaty texture.
- Spice it Up: If you enjoy spicy flavours, consider adding a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce to give your soup a kick.
- Make it Ahead: Cabbage Roll Soup reheats beautifully, so consider making a larger batch and enjoying it as leftovers. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.