If you’re on the hunt for a simple yet mouthwatering dinner idea that combines the convenience of grilling with the rustic charm of a campfire meal, look no further than these Burger Foil Packs, also known as Hobo Dinner. This recipe is a real winner for anyone seeking a hassle-free way to enjoy a delicious homemade burger and hearty veggies. Whether you’re a seasoned grilling pro or a newbie in the world of outdoor cooking, these foil packs are a delightful treat waiting to happen. Let’s dive into the details!
Who Is This Recipe For?
This Burger Foil Pack recipe is perfect for busy weeknights when you want a wholesome meal without the fuss. It’s also fantastic for campers and outdoor enthusiasts who crave the taste of a burger while surrounded by nature. Here’s why it’s great:
- Quick and Easy: You can have these foil packs ready in no time, whether you’re at home or camping.
- Minimal Cleanup: Since everything cooks in foil, cleanup is a breeze. Just toss the foil after you’re done.
- Customizable: Feel free to add your favorite burger toppings or switch up the veggies to suit your preferences.
- Kid-Friendly: Children love the novelty of individual foil packs, making this a family-friendly recipe.
To make these Burger Foil Packs, you’ll require:
- Gas grill (or oven if you prefer to bake)
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil
- Cooking spray
- A sharp knife for slicing vegetables
- Tongs for flipping the foil packs
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Add Cheese: For a cheesy twist, place a slice of your favorite cheese on top of each burger patty before sealing the foil packs.
- Vegetarian Option: Skip the beef and make veggie foil packs by adding extra potatoes, carrots, and your choice of plant-based protein.
- Spice it Up: Experiment with different seasoning blends to customize the flavor to your liking.
Q1: Can I make these foil packs ahead of time?
A1: Absolutely! You can assemble the foil packs in advance, store them in the fridge, and then cook them when you’re ready. Just make sure to seal them tightly to prevent any moisture from escaping.
Q2: What other vegetables can I use in these foil packs?
A2: Feel free to get creative with your veggies. Bell peppers, zucchini, or mushrooms would make excellent additions or substitutions.
Q3: How do I store leftovers?
A3: If you happen to have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the oven or on the grill to maintain the delicious flavors.
Food and Drink Pairings
For a complete meal experience, pair these Burger Foil Packs with:
- A crisp green salad
- A refreshing fruit salad
- Your favorite cold beverage or a glass of red wine for adults
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 large potato
- 2 carrots
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1–2 tablespoons of Montreal Steak Seasoning (adjust to your taste)
Step 1: Preheat and Prepare
Preheat your gas grill to medium-high heat. If you're using an oven, set it to 400°F (200°C).
Tear four pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil, each about 15 inches by 12 inches. Lightly coat one side of each foil piece with cooking spray.
Step 2: Shape Patties and Slice Veggies
While your grill is heating, divide the ground beef into four equal portions and form them into burger patties.
Slice the potato into rounds, approximately ¼ inch thick.
Peel and slice the carrots.
Slice the onion into rings.
Step 3: Assemble the Foil Packs
To create each foil pack, place 3 to 4 slices of potato on the greased side of the foil.
Divide the sliced onions and carrots between the four packs, layering them over the potatoes.
Place a hamburger patty on top of the veggies in each pack.
Add 1.5 teaspoons of butter on top of each patty.
Sprinkle 1.5 teaspoons of Montreal Steak Seasoning over each patty.
Fold the foil over the ingredients, then seal the middle and ends tightly to create a secure packet.
Step 4: Grill or Bake
Grilling: Place the foil packets on the grill grates, seam side down. Grill for 10 minutes, then carefully flip them and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Baking: If you prefer to use the oven, place the foil packets on the oven rack, seam side down. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the packets and bake for another 15 minutes. Keep in mind that oven temperatures can vary, so check for doneness before serving.
Step 5: Serve and Enjoy