Welcome to my food blog, where I share delicious recipes that are not only easy to make but also perfect for food enthusiasts of all levels. Today, I’m excited to bring you a delightful morning treat – Breakfast Cheese Danish! This classic pastry is made with just a few simple ingredients but packs a flavor punch that will impress your family and guests alike. Whether you are a seasoned baker or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is a must-try!
Who is This Recipe For?
Breakfast Cheese Danish is a wonderful choice for those who want to start their day with a touch of indulgence. If you love the combination of buttery pastry and creamy cheese, this recipe is tailor-made for you. It’s also a fantastic option for hosting brunch gatherings or potluck parties. The ease of preparation and the scrumptious results will leave everyone wondering if you secretly trained at a professional bakery.
Why It’s Great
The greatness of Breakfast Cheese Danish lies in its simplicity and versatility. With just a few store-bought ingredients, you can create a masterpiece that tastes like it’s been handcrafted by a pastry chef. The cream cheese filling adds a velvety richness, while the glaze drizzle on top adds the perfect touch of sweetness. Plus, this recipe allows you to experiment with different fillings and toppings, making it adaptable to your personal preferences and creativity.
Kitchen Equipment Needed
To make the Breakfast Cheese Danish, you’ll need the following kitchen equipment:
- 13X9-inch baking pan
- Mixing bowl
- Electric mixer (handheld or stand mixer)
- Pastry brush
- Measuring cups and spoons
If you happen to have any leftovers (which is rare because this danish disappears quickly!), store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The danish will stay fresh for up to 3 days. When reheating, pop a slice in the microwave for a few seconds or warm it in the oven for a few minutes until it’s pleasantly warm and gooey again.
Food and Drink Pairings
Breakfast Cheese Danish is incredibly versatile and pairs well with various accompaniments. Here are a few delicious suggestions:
- Fresh Berries: Serve a side of mixed fresh berries like strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries. The natural sweetness and vibrant colors complement the creamy danish beautifully.
- Hot Coffee or Tea: A cup of freshly brewed coffee or a steaming pot of your favorite tea is a perfect match for the danish. The warmth of the beverage cuts through the richness of the pastry and makes for a delightful morning experience.
- Orange Juice: A glass of refreshing orange juice provides a zesty contrast to the sweetness of the danish, creating a balanced and enjoyable breakfast.
Recipe Swaps and Variations
While the classic Breakfast Cheese Danish is already amazing, don’t be afraid to get creative and try some exciting swaps and variations:
- Fruit Filling: Add a layer of fruit preserves or pie filling on top of the cream cheese before adding the second layer of crescent rolls. Raspberry, cherry, or apricot are excellent choices.
- Nutty Delight: Sprinkle chopped nuts, such as almonds or pecans, on top of the cream cheese filling for an added crunch and nutty flavor.
- Citrus Twist: Add some freshly grated lemon or orange zest to the cream cheese mixture to infuse the danish with a lovely citrus aroma.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I make this ahead of time for a special occasion?
A: Absolutely! You can prepare the danish a day in advance and keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to bake. Just add the glaze before serving.
Q: Can I freeze the Breakfast Cheese Danish?
A: Yes, you can freeze the danish before baking it. Assemble the layers as instructed, but instead of baking, cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil before placing it in the freezer. When you’re ready to enjoy it, thaw the danish in the refrigerator overnight, then bake it according to the recipe.
Q: Can I use puff pastry instead of crescent rolls?
A: Yes, you can substitute crescent rolls with puff pastry for a slightly different texture. Just make sure to adjust the baking time accordingly as puff pastry may require less time to cook.
- 2 cans ready to use refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 13X9-inch baking pan to prevent sticking.
Lay a pack of crescent rolls in the pan, making sure to pinch the openings together to form one continuous layer of pastry.
In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, and egg together until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the crescent rolls in the pan, ensuring that the filling covers the entire surface.
Carefully lay the second pack of crescent rolls on top of the cheese mixture, forming the top layer of the danish.
Brush the top layer of crescent rolls with egg white to give the danish a beautiful golden-brown finish during baking.
Place the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cream cheese filling is set.
Once baked, allow the Breakfast Cheese Danish to cool for about 20 minutes before adding the glaze.
In a separate bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract to make the glaze.
Drizzle the glaze over the slightly cooled danish, adding an irresistible sweetness that complements the richness of the cream cheese filling.