Billion Dollar Bars are a heavenly dessert that combines layers of cookie, caramel, cookie dough, and a peanut butter-chocolate topping. Each bite is rich, sweet, and incredibly satisfying. Let’s dive into the details of this delectable treat!
Who Will Love This Recipe?
Billion Dollar Bars are perfect for those who appreciate indulgent and luxurious desserts. Here are some groups who will particularly enjoy this treat:
- Sweet Tooth Enthusiasts: If you have a sweet tooth and love desserts with multiple layers of flavor and texture, you’ll adore these bars.
- Cookie Dough Lovers: The cookie dough layer in these bars is a highlight, offering that beloved cookie dough taste without the need for baking.
- Caramel Aficionados: The gooey caramel layer adds a delightful chewiness and sweetness to these bars.
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Fans: The peanut butter-chocolate topping is a dream come true for anyone who enjoys this classic flavor combination.
- Baking Enthusiasts: This recipe allows bakers to indulge their creativity and passion for making delicious treats.
What Sets It Apart?
Billion Dollar Bars stand out thanks to their rich, multi-layered composition and the combination of various flavors and textures:
- Cookie Base: The bottom layer starts with a sugar cookie mix, creating a sweet and buttery foundation.
- Caramel Layer: A luscious caramel layer adds a chewy and sweet contrast that pairs perfectly with the cookie base.
- Cookie Dough Layer: This layer is reminiscent of cookie dough and includes brown sugar, vanilla, and mini chocolate chips for extra indulgence.
- Peanut Butter-Chocolate Top: A smooth and creamy mixture of chocolate chips and peanut butter tops off the bars with a delectable flavor combination.
- Almond Flour: The use of almond flour in the cookie dough layer gives the bars a unique texture and flavor, making them stand out from traditional cookie dough.
Tips for a Perfect Dish
Here are some helpful tips to ensure your Billion Dollar Bars turn out perfectly:
- Room Temperature Butter: Ensure that the butter is softened to room temperature for each layer to achieve the desired consistency.
- Use Almond Flour: Ground almonds in a food processor or blender to create almond flour for the cookie dough layer. This adds a unique texture and flavor.
- Proper Layering: When adding each layer, be careful not to press too hard. You want to maintain the separation between the layers for a beautiful presentation.
- Chill for Best Results: Refrigerating the bars at various stages helps the layers set and ensures easy slicing.
- Creative Variations: Feel free to customize these bars by adding different types of nuts, candies, or flavor extracts to suit your preferences.
- Cookie Base:
- 1 pouch (17.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ Sugar Cookie Mix
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- Caramel Layer:
- 1 bag (14 oz) caramels
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Cookie Dough Layer:
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups raw slivered almonds, ground in a food processor or blender to a fine flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Chocolate Top:
- 1 1/2 cups regular semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients
Start by collecting all the necessary ingredients to ensure you have everything ready.
Step 2: Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper.
Step 3: Prepare the Cookie Base
In a mixing bowl, prepare the cookie base by combining the sugar cookie mix, egg, and softened butter. Beat the ingredients until they form a creamy dough.
Step 4: Bake the Cookie Base
Press the cookie dough into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Bake it in the preheated oven for 10-14 minutes or until it turns golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly.
Step 5: Create the Caramel Layer
While the cookie base is baking, melt the caramels and heavy cream together in a saucepan over low heat. Stir occasionally until the mixture is smooth, which should take about 10 minutes. Pour the caramel mixture over the baked cookie layer and allow it to cool completely, about 10 minutes.
Step 6: Make the Cookie Dough Layer
In a separate bowl, prepare the cookie dough layer. Beat together the softened butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla until the mixture becomes fluffy and light in color. Incorporate the almond flour, salt, and mini chocolate chips into the mixture. Spread this cookie dough layer over the caramel layer, being careful not to press too hard to avoid mixing the two layers. Place the dish in the refrigerator to set.
Step 7: Prepare the Peanut Butter-Chocolate Top
Melt 1 1/2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips with 1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter either in a saucepan or by microwaving them. Pour this mixture over the caramel layer and spread it evenly. Let it cool and harden completely in the refrigerator.
Step 8: Refrigerate and Serve
Refrigerate the Billion Dollar Bars for at least one hour or longer before serving. Once set, cut them into bars and enjoy! Leftovers can be covered and stored in the refrigerator.